I have another really good weeknight meal to share with you today! So good in fact that I only took a picture of the dish before we cut into it. Once we sliced up the pie and ate our portions…the leftovers didn’t stand a chance. We ate THE. WHOLE. THING. I’m beginning to wonder about us. It’s like we’ve never seen food. All the sudden we just can’t help but eat everything in front of us. Call it the winter blues, comfort food, boredom…whatever – we will need to go on a diet before hitting the beach. OK, maybe its not that bad. Let’s just call it more of a testament to how good the dishes have been.
I’m typically not a fan of red enchilada sauce and only recently became somewhat of a fan of tamales, but this meal was so good! The cornbread mixture makes the perfect base for the enchilada sauce to seep into. Seasoned chicken is piled on top and then a healthy layer of cheese is added to create a gooey delicious tex-mex meal.
Chicken Tamale Pie
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning, divided
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 ( 14.75 oz) can cream-style corn
1 ( 8.5 oz) box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 ( 4 oz) can chopped green chiles, drained
1 ( 10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
3/4 cup Monterrey Jack cheese with jalapenos
Cilantro, for garnish and topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine milk, egg, 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning, red pepper flakes, corn, jiffy, and green chiles into a large bowl, stirring until moist. Pour mixture into a greased and rounded pie plate.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes. While corn is baking, toss the chicken with remaining tablespoons of taco seasoning. When corn is done (it will be just barely set and golden brown) poke entire surface liberally with a fork. Pour enchilada sauce over top, letting the sauce sink into the corn bread. Top with chicken and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place back in oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Top with cilantro before serving.
Linked up with: Buns in My Oven